What a wanderer could wonder about...

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Come, let me tell you how vast is my loneliness...

I have a nice friend who is a very good poet. I really love the way she plays with words and draws beautiful and sometimes shocking images with them. The imagery in her poems is just fantastic and the way she takes advantage of the inherent ambiguity of some words astonishes me. I love two of her poems in particular: The Game and Dual (I'm not sure if that is the right translation for its Persian title "دوگانه"). I'll quote the second one here:


دوگانه

بر فراز تپه ایستاده‌ای
بی‌خیالِ بی‌خیال؛
و سایه‌ات افتاده بر خاک
دستش بر دامنِ من.

تو بگو!
غرور قامتت را باور کنم
یا خواهش سایه‌ات را؟


----
Well, the relevance of the title of this post is that she had posted something new called The Fishes which reminded me of two poems by Sohrab, To the Companion’s Orchard and the Message of the Fishes both of which I love very much. There is an acceptable translation of the first one available if you care to take a look at.

...
Within the space of this silent age
Lonelier am I than the test of a song
Within the scope of the alley’s conception
Come, let me tell you how vast is my loneliness?
My loneliness didn’t predict this ambush of your stature
And this is the characteristic of love
...

It's truley a great gift, being a poet. I sometimes envy that.

No comments: